Somewhere in here there is some logic. At least, a need for logic will become self evident.
I've never run a marathon. I figured that if I was ever going to run a marathon it would be NYC but there is always a challenge of actually getting in. Fortunately, NYRR has a program where if you complete 9 races (later they added on the additional requirement of volunteering at another) within a calendar year, you would have guaranteed entry into the following year's marathon. In 2008 I decided I was going to run in the 2009 NYC Marathon and started on my quest to meet the 9 race requirement. I met this quest.
In early 2009 I got the email that was the yellow brick road on how to register before the lottery people were identified and let in. I registered for the NYC26.2 and had a good year training until I failed at dodging a Honda CR-V while riding my bike in September. The bike shattered, my ribs fared not much better, the Honda left the scene on a flatbed, and I left the scene in the back of an ambulance. This was 7 weeks before the marathon. I decided to defer my 2009 entry into 2010.
Deferring an entry means getting the option to pay the entry fee again the following year. I started running again in November 2009 and hurt my knee. I figured this was a temporary deal so reregistered for the 2010 edition of the marathon. This wasn't so temporary but my 2010 season ended with yet another bike crash. This time the casualties included my broken left wrist and stitches in my right hand. I was bandaged up like a lobster and realized my season was over.
I was never going to run in the NYC marathon in 2011 since IMFL is the day before. I forgot but I did actually defer the entry to 2011. Today, I got the email giving me the instructions to enter the marathon for 2011 but it also said that if I wanted to, I could register for 2011 (and pay the registration fee) and defer yet again into 2012.
Hmmmmm. 2012 marathon. Wasn't thinking that far in advance. Now the need for logic becomes apparent.
Do I register and pay the fee (event though it isn't cheap I'm not really concerned so much about the cost)? My other option would be to do the 9 races this year (I have one already done, two more already registered, and more under consideration) to get into NYC2012 that way. Then I realized that paying the entry fee for the marathon would be about the same as the race fees for the other 6 races.
So, what to do? Pay and defer to 2012 (I'm effectively buying an option) or let it expire, do the 9 or if I don't get the 9 in, take a chance that I won't get in?
I have a month to decide. What say ye?