Sunday, March 21, 2010

Research and experiments.

Yesterday might have been the best weather day so far in 2010. A perfect day for a run. Except I can't run.

The downside with spring being sprung was that I was up all night on Friday night probably with seasonal allergies kicking in. My sinuses were dripping and my head was aching. I was up and had a lot of time to kill since I really didn't want to watch infomercials. So I researched my injury more.

The internet is full of horror stories about my injury. Running is done, biking is a pain factory at best, even long recoveries won't let you do anything athletic afterwards, etc. The best point, though, was someone wrote that the people who bitch about things going wrong with this injury are not the people who have the success stories. There is a yahoo group (that I signed up for) that is the misery loves company venue but I did find the name of two doctors that kept coming up again and again as the experts for this injury. One lives in NYC. I'm going to try make an appointment with him to see if this bad prognosis is the best I can hope for.

So I tried hot yoga again on Saturday instead of a run. I sucked at that too. There will be a hot yoga update later this week so stay tuned.

Sunday I planned on going for a long-ish, slow, easy bike ride to see if there was any pain from just being in the saddle. The local TNT chapter said they had 35-40 miles on the agenda. It was very slow and I had to get home to go to a church function for my daughter so I broke out a mini-group to push the pace a bit. It was too fast for some so we had to keep pulling back. Then someone flatted. Then we got lost. Then we caught the group that we broke away from. Arghhhh.

But then I had to push it if I didn't want to get in trouble for missing church. Once guy wanted to stay up with me and I said he was more than welcome to ride but I couldn't wait for him. He would have the rest of the group behind if he ran into trouble so he said, deal, and we were off.

Now is when it got fun and I almost forgot I was hurt. There were a lot of traffic lights yet we were hammering it. I dropped him quickly and saw a local bike club group ahead so reeled them in too. I was pushing the power at what used to be close to threshold (for me) with a few times peaking up a little above even. It has been a while since I rode fast. The ride finished up at about 48 miles.

I got to my car, loaded up the bike, was leaving, he pulled in and said he want to ride with me again, said sure, and made it home, showered, dressed and was early for church.

No pain beyond the normal today. I feel like I may be able to resume bike training but let's see how dinged I am tomorrow.


Kathleen said...

Glad to hear that you had such a good day :) I bet if feels great!

Mike said...

Big smiley.

Julie said...

I think it is a great idea to go check that doctor out...lucky for you that he lives in NYC. At least you are keeping active by doing the yoga and biking! Hang in there:)

Unknown said...

nice job with the cycling. sounds like you might have found a partner for a future ride.

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear your research has led you to a local doctor. I hope good things come of this! Nice ride, by the way!

Diane said...

How are you feeling today? Hopefully all signs are still a GO. So glad to hear that you were back on the bike yesterday and feeling pretty good!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Cool about finding a doctor and a potential biking partner.
I hope you are feeling better (allergies) today!

Jess said...

So glad to hear you had a great pain free ride. Crossing my fingers you'll have many more!

April said...

Wow! Sounds you had a great day!! A great bike ride and no scolding for being late for church!;)
I hope you get great info from the local Doctor!