- The last time I wore my wet suit was last November. In Florida. Racing IMFL.
- I haven't been swimming much at all.
- I have no excuses as to why I haven't been swimming. It is even worse when you realize I have an endless pool. In. My. House.
- My friend, Mindyruns, sent an email out yesterday asking if anyone was swimming open water this morning. I responded that I would be interested in joining her if she found something. She found a group that was swimming part of the TOBAY sprint tri course. She said to bring a bike since they were going to casually ride the bike course after. Some might even do the run too. (I had no dreams of being in that "some").
- I woke up early and stayed in bed figuring out how to wimp out.
- Since I couldn't find any reason (said tri is coming up soon and I'm registered) I started looking for all my swimming stuff.
- My stuff was where I expected it to be. Victory or another reason to not swim avoided?
- Put the bike in the car too and headed to the meeting place. Got there and there were about 20 people.
- The bay was relatively calm.
- Put on my wet suit. Even though I'm fat I'm not so fat that my wet suit didn't fit. Another victory.
- Jumped in the water. Realized salt water still tastes the same. my goal was to swim slow to make sure I didn't have breathing issues - the weather was just about perfect with air temps in the 60s and water temps in the mid 70s.
- I started in the back. After what seemed a long while, my arms were getting tired. This long while was a whole 5 minutes per my watch.
- Swam a little more to a sign that said 5 mph speed limit. Turned around and headed back. I had no issue making sure I was not swimming faster than 5 mph.
- Got out and deemed it a success swimming a monstrous 20 minutes.
- Got on my bike and rode most of the course.
There were no breathing issues so I guess I can swim more. I celebrated by taking a nap when I got home.
PS: Later Mindyruns emailed me that she found out that the beach was officially closed due to high bacteria levels. Oh well, this could have been a real excuse but I blew it.